Pages


Wednesday 31 October 2012

Brimham and The Peak

I had a great day over at Brimham the other day for Matthew's birthday. After two of the classic VS's we wandered over to Black chipper. This went with surprising ease, apart from maybe the top out... Then we went over and onsighted Pathos, a good E3 6a which was probably E3 considering how wet the top was and the fact I had to lunge for a bilberry bush... We messed about Acme wall, and then went to onsight Red Tape E2/3 5b/c. Pretty hard to be honest! A good day!

We went to the peak for a couple of days, being optimistic for the weather... As we travelled south the clouds cleared and it looked pretty good! We arrived at Froggatt and i climbed the first pitch of Valkyrie. Matthew led the second pitch in what was worsening weather and we topped out on the fine grit stone pinnacle. The rest of Froggatt was wet, so we wondered over to Curbar. We both led the Bear Hunter, myself having to climb the crux in the rain and dynoing for a wet break to avoid the rounded top out. Then the sun came out and we went and had a go at the Beer Hunter, but it was hard and still a bit wet. We wandered back to Froggatt to find it even wetter so we went to Hathersage to buy smarties.

I noticed a change in the weather, and although now pitch black, it seemed like alright conditions, so we walked up to stanage popular for a couple of routes. We fell off flying buttress direct a few times which was a bit gay, although we couldn't see any of the holds even though we had a head torch... And then I went over and climbed Easter Rib, a fairly bold E1 which was made more exciting by more rain and darkness. We walked down to the car, cooked some bacon and bivvied.

I was well-psyched when I awoke to sunshine in the morning so we drove over to Millstone. But, yet again, the weather became grey so it was decided on Lawrencefield after Jas Wood had mentioned it was a good crag if its a bit wet. We climbed 'Suspence' a brilliant E2 up a bold slab and out over the famous pool, ace! We finished the day off at Millstone, which I thought was pretty impressive, but to be honest just a bit grim and desolate.

Anyway, although we didn't do that much, it was a good trip and I think we made the most of it. But I can't help thinking that I should stop dossing about on this gritstone, stay in the moors, and get over to the lakes. Also, I could do with a camera to record some of my climbing, so if anyone would like to donate/sell me one really cheap, give us a bell...

No comments:

Post a Comment